Learn violin · Improve your skills · Play music
Deb has years of experience teaching Violin, Fiddle, and Hardingfele, to students of all ages and abilities,
in styles that come from many various musical traditions, from all across the globe, including classical.
She has a keen sense of knowing how to approach many different learning styles.
She gained some of her understanding of teaching from her experiences while attending the
School of Education at Pacific Lutheran University, in Tacoma, Washington. She has experience working with
families who choose alternative schooling methods. She also teaches English as a Second Language.
Her unique teaching approach and one of a kind instructional methods match the specific learning style and goals of each student,
even if they've never played before. She helps students break through barriers and ‘diagnose’ issues that prevent them from moving
forward with their experience. Most important to her, is that she helps students find their musical joy!
Her network of musicians and friends in the music world is vast, and her involvement in various music-related activities
has helped to broaden her experience, thereby enabling her to provide a wealth of useful information to enhance the learning environment.
Deb has a real talent for creating activities that are engaging, challenging, and enjoyable.
Professional Experience and Connections
- Arbutus Folk School (Instructor)
- Calvary Players _ Quilters the Musical
- Cricket on the Hearth: Celtic and Folk music dance, performance, and recording artist
- Evergreen State College: (Taught Celtic Fiddle Courses and Community Instructor)
- Hardanger Fiddle Association of America (Member and Instructor)
- Harlequin Productions - Fun Home
- Hi-Liners: Country Western music performance and recording artist
- Kids Fiddle Club
- Hungarian style fiddle performance
- Oly Kids Summer Fiddle Camp - Co-Founding Director / Instructor
- Oly Old Time Festival (Workshop Instructor)
- Olympia High School, Mount Tahoma High School, and Komachin Middle School Orchestras (Member, Tutor, Mentor)
- Oly˜Qua: Adult group that meets weekly to play violin music, in parts, in an ensemble setting
- Peninsula Youth Orchestra Camp (Workshop Instructor)
- Pierce Community College: Taught several years of Celtic Fiddle Courses
- Puget Sound Revels
- Straw Hat Sting Band: Folk Fusion Eclectic music performance and recording artist
- String Zone: Non-Profit before and after school program for schools with no official strings program due to lack of funding
- Tune-a-Week ~ Global Tunes for the Global Learner: Weekly fiddle tune learning sessions designed to teach tunes by ear in the traditional manner
- Washington Old Time Fiddle Association (WOTFA) - Member and Instructor
- World on a String Fiddle Workshop, Courtenay, B.C., Canada, (Director & Instructor)
Please contact Deb for more information regarding any of the following:
- Private violin, fiddle or hardingfele lessons, virtually or in her home studio
- Group lessons, at schools, camps, or workshops
- Volunteer to play at assisted living homes or other community events
- OlyQua – An adult group that meets weekly to play violin music, in parts, in an ensemble setting. Basic sheet music reading required
- Tune - a - Week - Global fiddle traditions taught by ear. Practice resources available